On December 16, 1868, 36 Master Masons had an organizational meeting that was held at South Side Hall. They received dispensation to form a new Lodge on January 21, 1869. Excelsior Lodge #175 F.&A.M. received their charter on June 9, 1869. The ﬁrst meetings were held in Druid Hall at Oregon and Reed Streets. The Lodge moved to various locations starting with the new Cream City Lodge of Odd Fellows on May 1, 1874, National Block in June 1884, Stumpf and Langhoff Building at 2nd and Wisconsin Ave. in May 1899. In December 1917 the Excelsior Masonic Temple Association was formed by Excelsior Lodge #175 F.&A.M., Excelsior Chapter #40 R.A.M. and Galilee Commandery #38 K.T. This organization was charged with securing a site, building and overseeing a new Masonic Temple. The cornerstone was laid on May 20, 1923 and they remained in this building until it was sold in the 1990's. They eventually moved to Lake Masonic Center. Excelsior Lodge #175 consolidated with Lake Lodge #189 on May 18, 2009.
A number of members from Excelsior Lodge #175 received dispensation to form a new Lodge on September 27, 1872. Excelsior Lodge remitted the dues of these brothers so they would be able to undertake this endeavor. Lake Lodge #189 F.&A.M. received their Charter on June 11, 1873. Lake Lodge ﬁrst met in Puddlers Hall. They moved to a building at 960 K.K. Avenue and ﬁnally built the ﬁrst new building by a Masonic Lodge in Milwaukee in 1908. This building is located at 2535 S. K.K. Ave. Due to a lack of parking and a second ﬂoor Lodge Room, they built their currrent building at 1235 East Howard Avenue. The cornerstone was laid in August 1964.
We are currently home to:
Organizations that once called Lake Masonic Center their home:
960 S. K.K. Avenue (picture pending)
2535 South K.K. Avenue
As seen form the Bayview Library
The Groundbreaking ceremony
The Cornerstone ceremony
When there were trees!
Click here to view a slideshow of the building construction narrated by Br. Max Vandenburg.
Excelsior's former building at 2422 W. National Avenue
Stumpf and Langhoff Building, circa 1914